Friday, July 23, 2010

My First Trip to Sweden (Day 1)

My first day in Sweden was better than I could have imagined. Roger Herbertsson, a direct decendent of my great, great grandfather's brother, had offered to meet me at the Gothenburg-Landvetter Airport. I had no idea what Roger looked like. As I exited the baggage claim area, I saw Roger and his daughter Ida for the first time in my life. They were holding a sign that read “Daniel Johnson” and they both had bright, welcoming smiles on their faces. We exchanged hugs and Roger showed me that his arms were full of “goose bumps”. It was a thrilling moment for all of us.

Prior to leaving the United States, I had reserved a car with the Sixt company through RentalCars.com and it was available for pickup at the airport. We walked to the rental car area and I provided the agent with my passport and driver’s license, a requirement for renting a car in Europe. The process was seamless and I soon had the keys to a new Mini Cooper. Roger decided to ride with me and I followed Ida as she led the way in Roger’s car. Roger told me that he was impressed that my driving was very smooth and considerate of the passengers.

Since it was lunch time, we drove to Kungsbacka and had lunch at Roger’s favorite café. While we were eating, Roger made arrangements with Kurt “Chico” Johansson (a local newspaper reporter) who was to meet us later that afternoon. Chico was planning to write an article for the Norra Halland newspaper about my visit.

After lunch, Roger showed me the way to Hilmersgården, the bed and breakfast I had booked through the city of Kungsbacka’s website. Once we arrived, Eva Elmquist (the proprietor) showed me the room where I would be staying. After putting my luggage in the room, I went downstairs and unrolled the family tree that I had brought with me. Roger and Ida began studying the tree with great interest. About that time, Chico arrived and began asking questions about my visit, looking at the family tree and taking pictures for his newspaper article.

Shortly after, Ida had to leave to go exercise with her mother, so Roger and I decided to drive around Hanhals so I could get the lay of the land. The first stop was to introduce me to Ann-Helen Davidsson, another relative who would be showing me around the next day. We agreed to meet around 10 AM the following morning.

Roger then took me to Fjärås Bräcka which is the only place in Sweden where you can see a fresh water lake and the ocean at the same time. We then drove around Hanhals including Pilagården, Torkelstorp, Skåre and the surrounding area.

Near Pilagården, one of the crops that is grown during the summer months is horseradish. The Swedes call this “pepper root” and there is a local processing plant which prepares the locally grown horseradish for sale.

Roger and I also visited the wharf where twelve years earlier in 1998, Roger’s father, Rune Herbertsson, had died tragically when a homemade sand dredge had capsized in the channel. A gasoline tank was stationed on either side of the floating platform which drove the old truck motor they were using to turn the dredge. One of the tanks had less fuel in it so the platform began to tilt to one side. Rune’s friend went to stabilize the platform by moving some fuel from the other tank into the empty tank when the platform capsized. Rune became trapped in the cabin of the vessel and drowned.

After driving around Hanhals, it was time for dinner so Roger and I drove back to the same café in Kungsbacka where we had eaten lunch. We met Roger’s wife Ulrika there and had a nice shrimp dinner.

After dinner, Roger and I drove to Hanhalsholme. This is a historic Swedish site where an ancient king had built a fort. The fort is no longer standing and it is now the location of the local swimming school where many youngsters first learn to swim in the Kungsbacka fjord. As we walked around Hanhalsholme, the sun began to set.

Roger invited me to his house. Ulrika was home now and I showed her the family tree. Roger gave me a copy of an old photograph which he believes is of his great grandfather, Johan Emil Johansson, his wife Albertina and their first daughter Alice.

After the brief visit to Roger’s house, I drove back to Hilmersgården and went to bed. I had been awake for 31 hours.

No comments:

Paychecks: an Exchange of Value for Value

Having managed and supervised people for many years now, it is evident to me that the concept of "value for value" is not clearly ...