Sunday, July 25, 2010

My First Trip to Sweden (Day 3)

It was Sunday morning and the family had planned a wonderful day for me. During Saturday’s excursion, Ann-Helen had been encouraging each of the relatives to meet at the Hanhals church on Sunday. The service was scheduled to start at 9:30 AM and I arrived around 9:15 AM.

The day was overcast and there was a light mist of rain falling. Matthias, Linda and their three boys arrived the same time I did and we walked to the entrance together. As I approached the front door, Chico (the newspaper reporter) met me there with camera in hand ready to continue gathering facts and photos for his article. It was scheduled to be in the paper next week.

I walked in, shook the young minister’s hand and took a seat about half way down the aisle, on the right hand side, next to Ann-Helen and her family. Each row had its own door that you had to open to access the pew. As I watched some of the families with small children, I imagined that this door was to keep the children confined to the pew during the service. The pews were made of hard wood.

The service began and I could hear Chico’s camera in the back of the room taking pictures for the newspaper.

The service was in Swedish and I did not understand the words, but the order of service was very similar to what I am accustomed to in the United States. The congregation sang a few songs, an offering was taken, there was special music and the minister gave the sermon.

Once particular song was entitled “"Jesus är Vår Kung" which I realized meant “Jesus is Our King”. I had never heard this song before. A young lady named Malin was leading the singing from the piano and as the small congregation sang the words I could not understand, the spirit of the song and the sweet sound of the singing moved me as I pondered the notion that my ancestors and their decedents had been worshiping Jesus on this very spot for more than 200 years.

After the sermon, Malin pulled out a hand drum, started an appealing rhythm and led the congregation in a song that I had heard as a child. The song was entitled “Don’t Build Your House on the Sandy Land”. I later learned that the topic of the sermon was about this very thing and Malin had selected the song because it went well with the minister’s message.

At the end of the service, I recognized one word: “America”. The minister was looking right at me and was obviously announcing the fact that I was visiting from America and that there was going to be a coffee following the service in my honor.

As we exited the church, several other relatives were just arriving. Many came and hugged me and wanted their picture taken with me. It was here that I met Sten-Åke Herbertsson (Roger’s brother) who was planning to take me on a fishing trip on Wednesday.

A small group of family members walked me around the church looking at the grave stones of my ancestors. Many of the names I instantly recognized from the many hours of research I had performed prior to my trip. The graves were beautifully adorned with flowers and the surrounding lawn was perfectly manicured.

We then walked to another nearby building where many family members were gathered to have coffee and some snacks. Members of the family which had not yet seen the family tree gathered around and engaged in delightful conversation about where their names appeared on the tree. Many of them realized for the first time that they were related to neighbors they had known their entire lives.

Ann-Helen had learned that I could play the piano and during the reunion asked if I could play a song. I sat and played my arrangement of “Amazing Grace” which everyone enjoyed.

Not long after I was introduced to a new cousin, Christina, and told that she would be taking me to her house for lunch and showing me around later that afternoon. So, I followed Christina in her car to her house where I met her husband Niclas and two boys. Christina made a wonderful taco lunch and shortly afterwards, Christina, Charlotta and I set out for our sightseeing trip to Tjolöholm Castle. I thoroughly enjoyed walking through this incredible building with my two cousins. The tour was in Swedish but Christina and Charlotta helped interpret along the way.


Once we had returned to Christina’s house, I learned that Christina was taking me to Mathias and Linda’s house for dinner. Christina’s two boys were also coming so they could play with Linda’s boys. We had a wonderful time eating Linda’s delicious cooking and talking about all kinds of things. During the conversation, we were discussing cake baking and I had to call my wife to find out what to call a cake covering made from almond paste…marzipan.

As we got ready to leave, Christina accidentally backed her car into a big rock and damaged part of the bumper. I felt awful for her.

Christina dropped me off at the bed and breakfast. I said goodbye to her and her two sons, went inside to my room and went straight to sleep. I was really, really tired, but it had been an incredible day!

No comments:

Paychecks: an Exchange of Value for Value

Having managed and supervised people for many years now, it is evident to me that the concept of "value for value" is not clearly ...