Saturday, July 1, 2006

Remote Control Aircraft

Another fantastic hobby which I have thoroughly enjoyed is that of flying remote control (R/C) aircraft. I purchased my first airplane, a P-51 Mustang PTS, through the local Hobbytown USA.


I must admit that there were a few mishaps when I was first learning...

  • On my first takeoff attempt, my plane took a hard left into a ditch because I did not realize that on a tail-dragger such as the P-51, the torque of the engine will cause the plane to veer off course unless right rudder is applied to keep it going straight down the runway.

  • Since I lived in the country, I decided to utilize my front yard as my own personal R/C runway. As a result, I had three encounters with power lines and two encounters with trees. But, once I learned how to fly and avoid obsticles, I was taking off and landing in my front yard with ease.

  • On another occassion, I was performing a loop too close to the ground. The plane went over the top, but was unable to pull out of the loop prior to impacting the terrain. The sound of the balsa crumpling as it hit the ground was one I will not soon forget. Fortunately, I was able to remove the engine, servos and receiver and install them in a new airplane without too much expense.

Hangar 9 has done a tremendous job of providing a line of great looking R/C airplanes. Hangar 9 sells their products online through Horizon Hobby.

My most recent airplane is the Hangar 9 Funtana X 50...


No comments:

Paychecks: an Exchange of Value for Value

Having managed and supervised people for many years now, it is evident to me that the concept of "value for value" is not clearly ...